The Library has a special collection of books and other printed material focused on Michigan history, with a special emphasis on local authors and works about the Saugatuck-Douglas area. Most of the collection is searchable in our Library Catalog or feel free to come in and browse our shelves. Many of the items circulate, but for preservation purposes, some are reserved for in-library-use only.
These organizations and online resources have other useful information on the history of Saugatuck, Douglas and the surrounding areas:
- Saugatuck-Douglas Historical Society - our local historical society provides, professional staff, informative programs, exhibits and digital resources available on their website
- Commercial Record Online - a joint project of the Saugatuck-Douglas District Library, the Saugatuck Douglas Historical Society, the Saugatuck Public Schools and the Friends of the Library. The Commercial Record has served the area since 1868. It is currently digitized through 1977.
- Allegan County Historical Society and Old Jail Museum - visit this museum and history center to take advantage of their collections and exhibits.
- Michigana - a collection of databases and digital collections related to Michigan history. This collection is hosted by the Library of Michigan and is part of MeL (Michigan Electronic Library).
- Michigan Digital Newspaper Portal - Hosted by the Clarke Historical Library on the campus of Central Michigan University, this free online tool provides access to a large number of small town newspapers throughout the state.